Sunday, November 10, 2013
Redeeming the Time
This morning’s sermon was on Ephesians 5:15–17. Our pastor read Proverbs chapter 9 as well in preparation for the preaching of the Word. It was an excellent tie in with our Proverbs that we’ve been reading. Wisdom calls out with words that will uplift you and lead you safely through life. Folly also calls out to you with words that are somewhat related but lead instead to destruction. This calls us all to question, who are we listening to?
In Ephesians, Paul has been urging us to walk in the manner that we have been called. We are children of the Most High God. Do we show this in our lives? I memorized these verses as a child in the King James. There it says, “Redeeming the time because the days are evil.” These words echo in my mind so often. How am I making choices that show that I am a child of God?
In my teen years, my family would watch an hour long Disney show that was played each Sunday while we ate dinner. Right afterwards would be a Sunday matinee which we would typically watch as well. At some point, I realized that this took up the entire afternoon until evening worship. I stopped watching because I didn’t want that to be the whole Lord’s Day. (That was even before God brought Rob and me to the Doctrines of Grace.)
Am I saying that television is wrong? Any of you who know us know that we watch quite a bit of television and movies around here. So what am I saying? For me, it was about balance and timing. If the entire block between morning worship and evening worship was spent in front of the television, where would my time with the Lord be? We have also taken a page from my dad’s book and keep busy during a number of our shows. I grade papers, knit gifts, or fold laundry.
Another way that I’ve found to apply these verses is thinking about where the wasted time in my week is. I got this idea from Dad as well. He used to memorize Scripture while he was on guard duty in the military. He would pace around his designated route with little verse cards in his pocket. I have ten hours a week that I spend in the car. That is a lot of time. Rob got me the Bible on CD. It is great to be able to listen to my Bible lessons for school or Proverbs or anything. I can use my iPod for sermons or podcasts. Also, I call my parents or school families or anyone.
The sermon was very convicting. I find myself asking, how can I squeeze more out of the time I’ve been given? “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Eph. 5:15-17
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment